Friday, October 23, 2015

On the Road Again

This weekend the Corsicana High School Class of 1965 is having its 50-year reunion.  When I graduated from college in 1963, my first teaching job was in Corsicana, and I taught junior English.  A good many members of the class of '65 were in those English classes.  I'm sure it must have been an interesting experience for them, since I didn't know what I was doing.  They taught me at least as much as I taught them that year.  One of them got in touch with me and asked if I could come to the reunion.  I don't like leaving home, but I thought it would be good for me to get out of the house.  And of course I was curious to see what had happened to that group.  I remember them much better than any other students I taught.  Something about them being the first ones, I guess.

The bad news is the weather.  There's a 100% chance of rain in Corsicana this weekend, and I don't like driving in the rain.  There's a stretch of I-45 that used to flood when there were heavy rains.  I hope that's been improved since the last time I was up that way.

If you're reading this, that means I'm on the way.  Otherwise, I'll just take it down.  If I go, I should be back here on Saturday night.  I'll post some stuff for today and Saturday to keep you occupied.

4 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

Enjoy, and be very careful. From what I read it looks like Patricia will be the biggest storm EVER to hit North America, and even though you aren't going to the impact zone (Mexico) they are predicting a lot of rain in Texas.

Jeff

Deb said...

Yes--please be careful. Stop and pull over if the monsoon starts. Have a good time and take care.

Jerry House said...

Have a safe trip and have fun. Don't forget to rub it in to those snot-nosed youngsters of 50 years ago that they are in the presence of a BIG-TIME AUTHOR! And tell those whippersnappers to stay off your lawn!

Cap'n Bob said...

Billy, don't be a hero. Enjoy the reunion.