Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Overlooked Movies -- Nadine

How could a movie miss if it starred Kim Basinger, Jeff Bridges, and Rip Torn,  and was written and directed by Robert Benton?  I don't know, but it did.  At least with the critics.  
Not with me, though.  After all, I've already mentioned how much I enjoyed Kim Basinger in Blind Date, and she's just as much fun in this one, in a completely different kind of role. She's Nadine, estranged wife of Vernon (Jeff Bridges) and she's slightly pregnant with his child.  She's also made some photos for photographer Raymond Escobar (Jerry Stiller), who assures her that he knows Hugh Hefner.

Nadine, a little sorry she ever listened to Escobar, goes to his studio to get the photos back.  While she's there, Escobar gets a knife in the back, and Nadine gets a packet of papers.  Not her photos, however.  They're plans for a big highway development, and they're what got Escobar killed.  Complications ensue.  

This movie might not be great, but I laughed a lot.  Besides another fine comedy turn by Basinger, Bridges and Rip Torn are super, and Gwen Verdon matches them.  Luckily Jerry Stiller dies early (I'm not a fan).  If this one ever shows up on your cable channels, check it out.

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I will watch anything with Bridges in it so of course I have seen it.

Jeff Meyerson said...

You can't go far wrong with Jeff Bridges and Rip Torn.

Jeff

Gerard said...

I only watched it once and still remember many of the scenes.