Monday, June 16, 2014

Tony Gwynn, R. I. P.

Major League Baseball: Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn succumbs to cancer at 54: (Reuters) – Former professional baseball player and Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn died at the age of 54, Major League Baseball said on Monday. 

Gwynn played for the San Diego Padres and was elected to the baseball Hall of Fame in 2007. He was selected to play in the All-Star Game 15 times and won eight batting titles over his 20-year career, according to his listing in the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

6 comments:

Deb said...

I'm sorry to hear this. I was wondering why he hadn't been on the baseball wrap-up shows this season.

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Very sad news.

Anonymous said...

Gwynn attributed his cancer to the dipping tobacco habit that he had since playing rookie ball in Walla Walla in 1981.

I wondered about that.


Jeff

Graham Powell said...

From all I've heard he was a really nice guy. This is a real shame.

August West said...

It seemed he got a hit whenever I caught him coming to bat on TV.

Amazing BB player.

George said...

Great player, great career, great guy. He died too young.