Wednesday, May 01, 2013

The Yard -- Alex Grecian

The Yard is set in London shortly after the Ripper murders have taken place.  Walter Day is the new man on Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, and he's faced with a new serial killer, one who's killing cops.  There's also someone killing me with beards and shaving them. 

The cops aren't the most interesting characters in the novel, however.  The real star is Dr. Bernard Kingsley, who's single-handedly introducing all kinds of new forensic techniques to the Victorian era, including the study of fingerprints.  

There's nothing pretty about the London that Grecian presents.  He gives plenty of the down-and-dirty, and there's an autopsy scene that will have you cringing.  Well, maybe not you, but me.  The book is obviously well researched, though I have my doubts of some of the dialogue.  Sounds a bit contemporary to me.

My only real complaint, however, is my usual one about books these days: It's too long.  There's a lot going on, maybe too much, and some judicious cutting would have reduced the length and increased my enjoyment.  You might not find it too long, however, and it's entertaining even at its current length.  It was nominated for several "best first novel" awards.  Check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Based on your description, this sounds like the BBC show, Ripper Street, which involves the London police department after Jack the Ripper, with the help of an American who is up to date on the latest forensics. It's a very good show. It just ended it's first year run a few weeks ago.

Ray Kolb
www.raykolb.com

mybillcrider said...

Just a coincidence, I guess. No Americans in this one.