Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Django Unchained

Okay, so I watched this one the other day, and I thought about some of the things I'd heard about its historical inaccuracies and such, and it occurred to me that they're not inaccuracies at all because the movie takes place in a parallel universe.  

Right at the beginning we see writing on the screen that says the year is 1858 "two years before the beginning of the Civil War."  Right away we know that we're in a parallel universe, since the Civil War in this universe started in 1861, three years after the time of the movie.  

Also, Lubbock, Texas, is mentioned.  Lubbock didn't exist in this universe in 1858 or for about 20 years after that date.  So that's another clue.

And we learn that the opening scene is set somewhere in East Texas and that the closest town is 37 miles away.  A wounded guy later asks to be taken to the doctor in El Paso, which is more like 837 miles away in our world. So, parallel universe.

Check out the weapons used in the movie by just about anybody.  Did they exist in our world in 1858.  Nope.  Mandingo fighters?  Same thing.

So this was one of the big SF movies of last year.  I thought it was okay.  I especially liked one scene, the one that was obviously a direct steal from a homage to Joe Lansdale.

7 comments:

Kelly Robinson said...

Now I'm curious which scene was an homage to Lansdale? I've only read a handful of his books.

Unknown said...

The dialogue in the scene where Don Johnson and his gang of bag-heads attack the dentist's wagon is pure Lansdale. Except as far as I know, he didn't write it.

Anonymous said...

Quentin steals from everyone and calls it homage. He is like George Lucas - not an original thought in his head. Which is not to say that I don't enjoy (some of) their movies. Just know what you're watching.

sas

Deb said...

I guess the question is, does Tarantino know he's writing about a parallel universe or is he just too lazy/hyper/convinced no one who matters will care to check out pesky little details such as when the Civil War started or when Lubbock was founded?

/Haven't seen the movie and not sure I will.

Gerard said...

When reading Monday's Memorial Day program my 7-year-old asked when the Civil War was and I said it started in 1860. I'll have to correct myself.

James Reasoner said...

People said this was Tarantino's version of a Spaghetti Western, but it's also heavily influenced by traditional Westerns and plantation novels (although Tarantino may not have read any of the novels but only seen the movie versions). The parts where he's almost doing a traditional Western are good enough they make me wish he'd make one and play it straight. Never happen, probably.

I thought the bag-head scene was pure Joe, too.

I'm not a big Tarantino fan, but I really liked the episode of C.S.I. he wrote and directed about ten years ago. At one point Grissom has a picture of Roy Rogers on his desk, and one of the other characters sees it and says, "So this Roy Rogers was a cowboy?"

Grissom says, "No. King of the Cowboys."

After that I'll forgive Tarantino almost anything.

Unknown said...

I didn't see that episode, James, but I'm with you. His heart is in the right place.