Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Davy Jones, R. I. P.

Rolling Stone: Davy Jones of the Monkees has died of an apparent heart attack at age 66. The singer – who had been on a solo tour this month - complained of chest pains last evening and was admitted to a hospital this morning in Stuart Florida.

Jones was born in Manchester, England and started acting as a child, though he got his big break in 1965 when he joined The Monkees. The group had a hugely successful television series, and a slew of hit songs in the late 1960s. At their peak in 1967 they sold more records than the Beatles.

7 comments:

Jerry House said...

Damn. Another part of my youth torn away.

pattinase (abbott) said...

My youth fades away even as I write.

Richard Prosch said...

I met Jones back in the 90s and got a chance to visit with him. He was quite friendly, generous with his time, an all-around good guy.

Deb said...

Although Peter Tork was my favorite Monkee, I think Davy was the one who handled post-Monkee success the best. I saw the Monkees on the nostalgia-tour circuit once and they put on a good show. R.I.P. Davy.

Cap'n Bob said...

Sad news. I have an eerie tie-in. In 1967 I was on a train to Clarksville that arrived around midnight. Ergo, the last train to Clarksville.

Deb said...

Just received this text from a friend: Who woulda guessed Keith Richards would outlive Davy Jones?

Anonymous said...

Here is a good online memorial for Davy. You can light a virtual candle or send virtual candles free of charge. http://www.memorialmatters.com/memorials.php?page=DavyJones