Sunday, September 28, 2008

Clean-Up

I haven't mentioned one of the things that impressed me most in the aftermath of Ike's visit to Alvin: the clean-up. Within a couple of days after the storm, people had recovered from their initial shock and the song of the chainsaws filled the air. By the end of the third day, the streets of town were lined with debris, the yards were clean, and a lot of them (mine included) were even freshly mowed. People really jumped in to help their neighbors, even reclusive guys like me. I pulled big limbs with four or five different neighbors, people I hardly ever see otherwise. It was a good feeling to help out and to be able to get things done after feeling so helpless during the storm itself.

3 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Good for all of you.

How often does Galveston get messed over? Not quite with Xenia, OH regularity, I hope.

mybillcrider said...

Galveston's last really bad storm was in 1983. It wasn't half as bad as Ike. Probably not a tenth as bad. They'll be a while coming back. I have a feeling that the communities on Bolivar Peninsula will never come back.

Anonymous said...

Nice to know there's still neighborliness in some areas.