Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In Bruges


I found In Bruges very dark and very funny, often both at the same time. Ken (Brendan Gleeson) and Ray (Colin Farrell) are a couple of hitmen sent to Bruges by their boss, Harry (Ralph Fiennes). They're to hide out there after Ray screws up his first hit by killing both his target and a boy who happens to be on the scene.

Ken tries to make the best of things, doing the tourist bit and admiring the medieval buildings and canals and such. Ray hates the place and doesn't mind saying so. He's very depressed until he discovers a that a film's being made there. The sight of the film set cheers him up, and the woman he sees on the set cheers him up even more. Or as much as he can be cheered, as he's in serious depression over having killed the boy.

The movie ambles along, and for a while it had me wondering where it was headed. I pretty much clued in, though, and that's all I have to say about it the plot. The movie's
not about killing, really, or the plot. It's about friendship and about having principles. It's not the kind of movie Hollywood would have made from the same elements, and I enjoyed its quirky charm.

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

A real charmer.

Graham Powell said...

I was lucky enough to catch this in the theater, and I'm glad more people are taking notice of it. With all the blog chatter it seems like this year's KISS KISS BANG BANG.

Keith said...

Ii didn't get a chance to see this at the theater. I've been wanting to see it though.