Monday, June 02, 2008

Idiocracy

My son recommended this one. Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph get frozen and wake up in 2505. It's a new world, one where Wilson, the epitome of the average guy in his own time, is the smartest man in the world. By far. Hilarity ensues, sort of. The movie was funny, but not in the same class with C. M. Kornbluth's story "The Marching Morons," Wells' When the Sleeper Wakes or Woody Allen's Sleeper. I got the feeling that the movie could have been a lot better if there'd been a decent plot, but maybe that's asking too much.

6 comments:

Doc Quatermass said...

I can tell ya, being the smartest man in the world is no picnic. :-)

Steve Brewer said...

I just saw this one, too. I got a few laughs, but my wife hated it. She found depressing the idea that the world is getting stupider because stupid people breed more. "Could be a documentary," she said.

mybillcrider said...

My son claims it IS a documentary.

Anonymous said...

It really starts to fall flat at the halfway mark. But Terry Crews as the President was hysterical.

mybillcrider said...

Agreed. Luckily for the country, we could never have a president who was like that.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I think the Owen/Luke Wilson thing is acquired. And I have not as yet acquired it.