Sunday, March 12, 2006

Happy Birthday, Peyton Place!


Update 3: 50 Years Later, 'Peyton' Memories Remain - Forbes.com: "Grace Metalious' sensational story of sex, violence and other scandals in a small New England town, based in part on Gilmanton, made the author an international celebrity and a local pariah. It transformed an otherwise obscure township into a symbol of decadence and hypocrisy and rivaled Elvis Presley as a shocking breach to the official decorum of the 1950s. "

This book had a huge impact on me. I've read it at least three times. Read the whole long, interesting article at the link. And for a fictional account of a Grace Metalious-like author, check out Vin Packer's The Girl on the Bestseller List.

1 comment:

mybillcrider said...

I have to confess that I'm worried about the movie, too. And I also have to confess that I see Kathy Bates as perfect for the part of Grace Metalious.