Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Alvin and the Chipmunks

Reading this post at Sling Words, I was once again reminded of how old I am. I remember quite well watching American Bandstand on the day "The Chipmunk Song" was on the rate-a-record segment. And everybody hated it. It received what was probably one of the lowest ratings ever. That didn't matter to Dick Clark, who predicted that the record would be a huge hit and that the people who rated it would be hearing it everywhere. He was right, of course, but I'm sure even Dick Clark never dreamed that the song would inspire lots of other recordings, much less a TV series, and that it would still be played more than 45 years later. And that I'd wind up living in a town named Alvin, which I guess is better than living in some place called Theodore or Simon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wahahaha! And we are STILL hearing that song everywhere. Who knew?

Cap'n Bob said...

Synchonicity! It's five in the morning, I'm at work, and that damn song is playing on the radio as I speak. Eerie, kids!