Thursday, January 27, 2005

HARRY WHITTINGTON

HARRY WHITTINGTON BIO PAGE: "I signed, in 1964, to do a 60,000-word novel a month for a publisher under his house names. I was paid $1000. On the first of each month. I wrote one of these novels a month for 39 months."

Maybe I've linked this before, or maybe someone else has. Anyway, it's well worth reading four or five times if you're a Harry Whittington fan, which I am.

What I'd really like to know is more about that quotation above with the link. Who was the publisher, and does anyone know what these novels were? Since there are 39 of them, I'd love to have a chance to read them all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it true Harry also wrote as Shep Sheppard for Bedtime Books?

By the way, I can't thank you enough for all the great reading I have done
since I picked up The Big Book of Noir. All the great Dell First Edition books with authors such as McKimmey, Ehrlich, Markson etc. One you didn't mention was Sweet Cheat by Peter Duncan, one of the funniest noir books I have had the pleasure of reading. I've also enjoyed all the Gold Medal authors as well, including Peter Rabe, Day Keene, Gil Brewer, Charles Williams, etc.
Any others that you could recommend?

Unknown said...

I have two Bedside books. One has Whittington's name on the cover. The other has "Shep Shepard" on the cover and Whittington's name on the title page. Whether he wrote either of them, I don't know. I also have a Novel Book called CORA IS A NYMPHO, and Whittington's name is on the cover. I've often wondered if he did 38 others for Novel Books under various names.

Peter Duncan's SWEET CHEAT is a Dell First Edition, right? He also did one for Gold Medal, THE TELL-TALE TART, that's worth looking for.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Sweet Cheat is a Dell First Edition. I'll have a look for Peter Duncam's Gold Medal Book. Any other obscure Gold Medal authors that you can suggest? I also picked up One for Hell by Jada Davis. Great!

Unknown said...

Hey, I have a signed copy of ONE FOR HELL. My first book, a Nick Carter novel, was written in collaboration with Jada Davis' brother. I'll try to think of some other obscure GM writers.

Anonymous said...

Bill:

Which Nick Carter(s) did you write? I frequent a couple of used PB stores that have a ton of them.

Best,
Mark Justice

Unknown said...

The Nick Carter novel that Jack Davis and I perpetrated is THE COYOTE CONNECTION. We're not responsible for one of the characters being called "DOMS" for several pages before she becomes Doris.