Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Overlooked Movies: Mr. Brooks

A repeat from 11-5-2011.  This movie seems even more obscure now than ever.  Too bad.

Here's another one of those movies that nobody seemed to like except me, but I liked it a lot.

Kevin Costner is Mr. Brooks, his town's Citizen of the Year. Little does everyone know that while his presents an outward facade of good will and friendliness, he harbors a dark side, a really dark side, represented my William Hurt as Marshall. Soon enough, the killings begin, and if you don't think Demi Moore can act, take a look at her performance as a cop in this one. Excellent work, but then Kostner and Hurt are just as good, and so is Dane Cook as a guy who would like to be Mr. Brooks. Not the good one. The other one.

Some great dialogue, some amusing moments, and an entertaining picture as a whole. It was clearly set up to be the first of a series, but like some other movies I've enjoyed, it didn't make enough money to interest anyone in a follow-up. Too bad, from my point of view.

9 comments:

Jeff Meyerson said...

I missed this when it first came out so figured I'd see it on video, but then I pretty much immediately forgot it existed. Let me put it on the Netflix queue before I forget it again.

Jeff

Jeff Meyerson said...

OK, my library has a copy so I reserved it.

Jeff

Unknown said...

You'll probably hate it.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Nah, I doubt that. We watched a movie on Cinemax last night that Jackie found On Demand that neither of us had heard of before, called 11:14 (2003). Surprisingly, considering how stupid many of the characters were (like the guy who gets his penis sliced off while peeing out a car window) it really kept my attention. The cast included Barbara Hershey, Patrick Swayze, Rachel Leigh Cook, Hillary Swank, Shawn Hatosy, Colin Hanks, and Clark Gregg.

Jeff

Unknown said...

I never heard of it, either. Good cast, though.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Barbara hasn't aged too well lately (unlike us) but she looked good in this.

It's done as five separate stories but they all intertwine eventually at (you guessed it) 11:14 pm.

Jeff

Ronald Tierney said...

I liked the movie, recommended it on my blog as part of a double feature with Seven as "The Gruesome Tw-some." Worthwhile, I think.

Unknown said...

I think it's underrated. I thought it would be a hit.

Todd Mason said...

11:14 is one of those banished directly to video by its studio, not even given the half-hearted release Mr. Brooks was. You'll find some solid work like that popping on cable from time to time, along with a freight of dull "programmers" as the Scheuer/Maltin crowd liked to dub them and probably still do.