Monday, December 13, 2010

Once Again, Texas Leads the Way

Sheriff Rhodes would never act this way.

Calvert's police chief, officers quit | Bryan/College Station, Texas - The Eagle: "The town of Calvert was left without a police force late Friday, following the resignation of its chief and its only two patrol officers.
[. . . .]
Greaves said Kuhn also handed in resignations from the town's two patrol officers. He said the news was unexpected but hinted it may have stemmed from discussions about overtime or holiday pay."

Hat tip to Lawrence Person.

4 comments:

Dwight Brown said...

Ah, it just isn't fair. Not only are you smarter and more handsome than I am, Mr. Crider, but you're quicker off the block, too.

"'They were wanting 16 hours extra overtime or holiday pay, but they're straight salary employees,' he said."

That's one of the things I don't understand about this story.

I am not an employment lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but from my reading of the law on exempt vs. non-exempt employees, I don't think the city can say that the patrol officers were exempt employees; they don't seem to fit in the management or professional categories, and I don't see them as fitting into the administrative category, either.

The patrol officers also don't seem to be covered by the exclusions section; I see nothing that says law enforcement is exempt, and they aren't elected officials, staff, policy makers, or advisors.

What I'm looking at is this. If someone has a different take on the subject, I welcome enlightenment.

mybillcrider said...

I'm not smarter than anybody, actually, but sometimes when I get a tip, I do get off the block a little more quickly.

Dwight Brown said...

Most honored and respected Mr. Crider:

It almost looks like you were responding to a comment that's no longer there. :-)

mybillcrider said...

Hey, it could happen.