Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Baja Oklahoma -- Dan Jenkins

TCU Press has published Dan Jenkins' Baja Oklahoma in a nice new paperback edition. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite among Jenkins' books, but this would certainly be up there near the top, and closing-in-on-middle-age Juanita Jenkins, aspiring singer and songwriter, is one of my favorite Jenkins characters. Her song lyrics are great, especially if you can imagine them sung in her voice that's "one third Loretta Lynn, one third Tammy Wynette, and one third ragweed allergy." And did I mention hilarious? Well, I should have. This is one of the funniest books of the year, even if it was published nearly 30 years ago. Wonderful stuff, just wonderful.

5 comments:

Richard R. said...

I've read a couple of his books, but not this one. I have to be in the right frame of mind for him, but when I am, it's laugh 'til you cry funny.

Todd Mason said...

Hey, and one not a sports novel...not that music is a very different world.

Paul Bishop said...

Jenkins is one of the truly funniest writers out there. And this title is one of his funniest, right behind my favorite, You Gotta Play Hurt.

Rusty said...

This one has one of my favorite bits, the Ten Stages of Drunkenness.

A very funny book.

Rusty

Unknown said...

Bulletproof!

And don't forget Big Pink.