Saturday, August 08, 2009

But Only if You Damn Kids Stay off Our Lawns

BBC NEWS | Health | People 'get happier as they age': "Most people get happier as they grow older, studies on people aged up to their mid-90s suggest.

Despite worries about ill health, income, changes in social status and bereavements, later life tends to be a golden age, according to psychologists.

They found older adults generally make the best of the time they have left and have learned to avoid situations that make them feel sad or stressed."

5 comments:

Jake Murdock said...

That was a good article.
I'm ready to get happy!

-after I get my last child through college, getting that 401K up there again, worrying about Congress messing with my health care, etc...

Todd Mason said...

Well, in middle age I'm certainly less acutely unhappy than I've often been previously.

Rick Robinson said...

I'm glad to hear that. Since at 63 I'm a grumpy old bastard, it's nice to know that any day now I'l wake up happy and glad the world is a wonderful place!

Oh boy!

Now if the idiots two houses down who are playing ear-spitting heavy metal while their little kids run screaming across MY front lawn would just figure out what the words "consideration for others" means, I could get on with this happy-happy, joy-joy thing.

Donna said...

I'm pretty happy at middle age, so by 80 I should be delirious.

Since it makes me happy to throw a wet blanket on studies like this, maybe the reason so many of the elderly are happy is because all the depressed, chronically unhappy people killed themselves off before reaching the age group polled. Not necessarily outright suicide, but through the bad living, risk taking and poor health that are the byproducts of discontent.

Just sayin'.

mybillcrider said...

You're a little ray of sunshine, you are.