Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Coming in June from Stark House

Once again Stark House has come up with a great double. This time it's two by Richard Powell, whose Say it with Bullets was previously reprinted by Hard Case Crime. Here are a few things about Powell that you may nor may not have known. Besides writing crime novels, he had a big mainstream bestseller, The Philadelphians, which was made into a movie with Paul Newman. The Young Philadelphians was the movie title, by the way. Powell also wrote Pioneer, Go Home, filmed as Follow that Dream, with Elvis Presley. Not a great movie, but one of the better Elvis comedies, by the way. And finally, Powell's Don Quixote USA was the basis for Woody Allen's Bananas. That's besides the fine crime novels, of which A Shot in the Dark and Shell Game are two. I've read the former, and I recommend it. I'll be reading Shell Game soon. You can't go wrong with stuff like this.

4 comments:

Doc Quatermass said...

One my "Get" list. "Follow that Dream" as sappy as it is* is my favorite Elvis movie. Charles Lederer who wrote the screenplay wrote some great movies.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0496468/



*What can I say Paul Henning wrote for Fibber McGee and Molly, my favorite OTR show and created three of my favorite sitcoms, Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, and The Beverly Hillbillies. I love corn pone humor.

mybillcrider said...

Certainly one of my favorite OTR shows, too. I never missed it when I was a kid, and I still laugh at it on XM.

Glen Davis said...

I have both books.

Shell Game is a screwball mystery, very similar to Say it With Bullets.

mybillcrider said...

Sounds like my kind of book.