Monday, December 10, 2007

A Preview of Coming Attractions

From Publishers Weekly:

Of All Sad Words: A Sheriff Dan Rhodes Mystery

Bill Crider. St. Martin's Minotaur/Dunne, $23.95 (272p) ISBN 978-0-312-34810-6

Crider's winning 15th Sheriff Dan Rhodes mystery (after 2007's Murder Among the OWLS) pits the wry Texan against a local drug ring. Skeptical when Clearview, Tex., newcomer C.P. Benton complains that his neighbors, the Crawford brothers, are cooking meth, Rhodes finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation when the Crawford trailer explodes, leaving one of the brothers dead. But instead of finding evidence of meth, Rhodes stumbles on a still with a fresh batch of old-fashioned hooch. The remaining Crawford brother plays dumb, blaming his sibling for the illegal operation, but Rhodes doesn't buy the act. The discovery of a second still complicates matters, and Rhodes must ignore his bickering deputies and a whiny county commissioner to get to the bottom of Clearview's crime wave. Crider expertly evokes this small Texas town and its eccentric cast of characters, and his dry humor will satisfy longtime fans of this popular series. (Feb.)

10 comments:

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Sounds right up my alley, Bill.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Terrific cover and title.

Unknown said...

I like the cover a lot, myself.

It's not exactly hillbilly noir, Patrick. More like Cen-Tex goofy.

Benjie said...

We're all waiting with baited breath.

Anonymous said...

You're on autoship already. I still need to read "O.W.L.S."

Unknown said...

Autoship. I like the sound of that.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Oh, I dig Texas goofy, too. Charles Portis' NORWOOD is one of my all-time favorite novels.

Unknown said...

Mine, too. I've read it three or four times. In fact, I've read all of Portis' novels. Great stuff!

Cap'n Bob said...

Not me, Benjie, I'm waiting with bated breath. Can't stand the taste of minnows and worms.

I trust my free review copy will be here toot sweet, Bill.

And yes, that cover is the best yet.

Unknown said...

I knew an old Moop like you would like it.