Friday, September 07, 2007

Madeleine L’Engle, R. I. P.

Madeleine L’Engle, Children’s Writer, Is Dead - New York Times: "Madeleine L’Engle, who in writing more than 60 books, including childhood fables, religious meditations and science fiction, weaved emotional tapestries transcending genre and generation, died Thursday in Connecticut. She was 88.

Her death, of natural causes, was announced today by her publisher, Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

Ms. L’Engle (pronounced LENG-el) was best known for her children’s classic, “A Wrinkle in Time,” which won the John Newbery Award as the best children’s book of 1963. By 2004, it had sold more than 6 million copies, was in its 67th printing and was still selling 15,000 copies a year."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a loss.

When I was young my mom and were always at each other, but we both loved A Wrinkle in Time. It's still my all time favorite book.

Unknown said...

That's her best, I think, and my kids loved it.

Anonymous said...

I liked A WIND IN THE DOOR nearly as well, and when I read them at age 10 I knew exactly how to film them. Pity Disney did such a poor job with the first a few years back.