Wednesday, June 06, 2007

D-Day the 6th of June

Osprey Media. - Belleville Intelligencer - Ontario, CA


A small piece of history sits on Gordon and Alice Cook's kitchen table.

It's a photocopy of part of Gordon's military records. Halfway down the page, are two half-typed, half-handwritten lines.

"Embarked at UK on 3 June 44. Disembarked at France on 6 June 44."

It's a very simple way of noting Cook's participation on D-Day, the world's largest-ever military invasion.

On this date in 1944, Operation Overlord, the Allies' invasion of Nazi-occupied France, was a success.




Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Graham Powell said...

My dad is from Bedford, Virginia, and was twelve years old on D-Day. 35 boys from Bedford loaded up and headed out for Omaha beach, and by the end of the day, 19 of them were dead.

My dad knew the younger brother of two men who fought, and I believe at least one of them died.

Unknown said...

I have to wonder what I'd have done that day if I'd been there. Cried a lot, probably. Those guys had more guts in their little fingers than I have anywhere.