Monday, January 08, 2007

Happy Birthday, Elvis!

And God said, "Let there be Elvis," and there was much rejoicing among the people. Well, among the teenagers at least. My parents were a long time coming around to the point of view that E. was The King. Oddly enough, my grandmother (on my mother's side) was a big Elvis fan. In the early '60s, radio station KTON in the Temple/Belton area ran a 15-minute Elvis show around 5:00 every afternoon, and my grandmother and I would listen together. Those were the days.

Todd Mason reminds me that this is also the birthday of Jesse Garon Presley, Elvis' twin brother, who, unlike Elvis, is actually dead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife called work yesterday so that my almost 4-year old son could remind me it was Elvis' birthday.

My persistent instruction on Janaury birthdays - including three family ones - has paid off.

mybillcrider said...

Glad to see you're raising the kid right.