Thursday, August 24, 2006

Lola, R. I. P.


Lola was Angela's cat. Even though Judy and I have known her for 14 years, have fed her when Angela was out of town, and have even kept her in our house for days at a time, she never liked us. She never voluntarily got in our laps or liked being around us. Mostly she'd howl and hiss at us. But she loved Angela. She followed her everywhere, and when Angela was at home, Lola would either be in her lap or nearby. She was a one-woman cat.

Earlier this summer, Lola started getting sickly. The vets weren't much help, but we told Angela to spend whatever it took. If she couldn't pay, we would. Lord knows what the bills will be, since Lola went from the vet to the even more costly internist. In the end, nobody could help. Lola had three tumors in her tummy. Her weight dropped from 12 pounds to a little over 3 pounds. She could have visited the cat oncologist, but there would have been no guarantee of a cure. So today Angela did one of the hardest things she's ever done or will ever have to do (I hope): she took Lola in to the vet so that Lola could could sleep the big sleep and have some relief. I have no idea why I'm so sentimental about a cat that didn't even like me, but there you have it. Rest in peace, Lola. We'll never forget you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are good cats and there are great cats. I suspect Lola fell into the latter catagory for your daughter. Please extend my sympathies to your daughter.

-Jerry House

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jerry, I will.

Cap'n Bob said...

Sounds like a pretty special kitty, and you guys are equally special for offering a blank check to Angela for vet bills. I wonder if there's a cat heaven, and then sometimes I think that there is and it's in the homes of caring owners.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Cap'n. Lola had it about as good as it gets for 14 years.

Anonymous said...

Inasmuch as my folks are considering euthanizing their 17yo cat, you and your family have my sympathy, as well.

And might well this be the worst...

Anonymous said...

Please pass along Sandi and my consolations to Angela. We've been there (3 times in the last five years) and it hurt every time. Hopefully Lola is rolicking with our guys now.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Scott and Todd. Lola got a lot of love for 14 years.

Jayme Lynn Blaschke said...

My sympathies. I went through much the same thing with Sigfreid, and that was by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Angela did the absolute best thing, but that doesn't dull the hurt any.

Juri said...

Sorry to hear about your daughter's cat. Must be painful. Give my warmest regards to her. (And of course to you and Judy!)