Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In the Company of the Courtesan -- Sarah Dunant

Now and then something comes over me and I read a book a little different from what I'm usually attracted to. I read something about In the Company of the Courtesan that made it sound interesting, so I bought a copy.

The setting of the story is Venice in the 16th century. Maybe that's what attracted me. Or maybe the fact that it's narrated by a dwarf who's in partnership with a courtesan caught my attention. Anyway, I read it. I didn't find it particularly involving, but there was at least a slight mystery element (I'd figured it out long before the answer even occurred to anyone else). I'm sure the historical details were very good, and I found the picture of the city the best part of the book.

Here's what I'd like to ask about. The book begins with Bucino, the dwarf, narrating the story in the first person, past tense. Then there's a brief section of third-person narration. Then there's a switch to first person again, but this time in the present tense. All before page 50. Why? (The narration doesn't change again.) I suppose that if I were teaching a class and this book were one of the assigned texts, I could make a case for the changes, but I found them irritating. Maybe I just don't have a high tolerance for Art.

No comments: