Monday, December 19, 2005

Mystery*File, Marvin H. Albert, and Harry Whittington


Over at Steve Lewis's invaluable Mystery*File, I was reading the latest in the search for a Marvin H. Albert novel that wasn't published in the U.S. when it occurred to me that Harry Whittington wrote a couple of books that never had U.S. publication. I have a copy of one of them that I got from Harry himself. As you can probably see in the scan, he affixed a little sticker to the cover saying that the book was "Never Published in America." It was published in France, and I've often regretted that my minor in college was Spanish instead of French. (You can click on the photo for a larger and maybe more easily readable version.)

2 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

I'll bet you could get Walter Albert to read it to you and translate it on the spot. It would make a great bedtime story.

Juri said...

When was this? All the Gallimards look the same and you can't tell the publishing year from the cover.

Ed Gorman was in touch with the Whittington estate some time back. Maybe the manuscript could still be found. It would be great if the book saw the light of day now!

There were some dozen paperback novels in Finnish in the early seventies that weren't published in the US, but unfortunately not the Whittington one.