Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Yet Another Celebrity Birthday

Johnny Tillotson is 66. Yes, Johnny Tillotson, the guy who recorded "Poetry in Motion" and a number of other big hits. You couldn't call him a hard rocker, but he did some pleasant songs. When I looked at his homepage, I clicked on the "Where Johnny's Appearing" link and discovered that tonight he'll be at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in a tribute to Pat Boone's 50th anniversary in show business.

Digression: As we all know, Pat Boone has never been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I consider this an example of snobbery at its worst. I know all the arguments against his induction, such as the fact that he didn't rock and he didn't roll, but who cares? The truth is that Pat Boone is as much a part of R&R history as any artist in the hall. I don't think there's any argument against that.

1 comment:

Cap'n Bob said...

Good defense of Old Milk Shoes, but I don't agree, respectfully. He was the designated hitter to cover "race music" at a time when many people were wary of having their kids listen to the likes of Little Richard. Boone's non-cover stuff wasn't bad, but it didn't exactly light up the dance floor. He was one of those packaged performers cobbled together by producers and promoters, not a self-actuated creative force. I don't hate the guy, but I don't see him as Hall of Fame material.