Thursday, April 21, 2005

Pleading with Oprah

View Letter: "Word of Mouth, an Association of Women Authors, invites you to read the letter below addressed to Oprah Winfrey, which thanks her for championing contemporary writers and respectfully requests that she consider focusing, once again, on contemporary fiction in her Book Club. After our members drafted and signed the letter, we circulated it throughout the American literary community. The response was overwhelming: distinguished contemporary writers from every part of the country enthusiastically greeted our appeal and added their signatures to the letter. The letter was delivered to Oprah Winfrey on April 20, 2005."

If you'd like to sign on as a supporter of the letter, there's a link for that. As for me, I figure my chances of selling even one book as a result of this are about zero. Besides, tough guys don't beg.

3 comments:

vikk simmons said...

Not even "nice" tough guys?

Flimsy Sanity said...

Just ran across your site - great find. Was googling "Sally was a Good Old Girl" I also use Sally from the song as my heroine. Use the last name of Gustine from Spoon River Anthology. This letter to Oprah could only be better if it was written by a speech-writer - they can convince folks that black is white. Can't wait to pick up one of your Sally Good books.

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog and website by following the bread crumbs. I think I was trying to find about the "famous" letter to Oprah. Thought I'd leave a comment and tell you I enjoyed reading your posts.