Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The Incredibles

Last night Judy and I went to see The Incredibles. We both liked it a lot. I've seen complaints that it rips off the plot of Spy Kids, to which I respond, "So?" And I've even seen complaints that the villain's lair rips off James Bond movies. Hey, what kind of lair would you expect an incredibly wealthy fanboy villain to have if not one modeled on James Bond movies? What matters is that The Incredibles has humor, heart, and action. Or maybe that should be action! It's the best superhero movie I've seen in years, maybe since the first Christopher Reeve Superman. In fact, for my part, Hollywood can just turn all future superhero movies over to Brad Bird and Pixar.

One thing that really got me about the movie was that by the time it was over I'd pretty much forgotten that I wasn't watching real people on the screen. The animation is that good. I'm scared to think where movie-making is going next, but then I haven't even seen The Polar Express yet. I'd love to see it in IMAX 3-D because I'm sure it would be an amazing experience.

Addendum: Jayme Blaschke has a comment below that's worth reading, and I put a link in my reply to his more complete review of the movie. But that link's not clickable. This one is.

2 comments:

Jayme Lynn Blaschke said...

Spy Kids!? Other than the fact that there are kids in the film, there's no similarity. It's not like Dash and Violet suddenly discovered their folks had super-powers. Sheesh. Completely different ball of wax.

As for Syndrome's lair, hell, You Only Live Twice is my favorite Bond film of all time. If you're going to borrow, borrow from the best. I don't think there's ever any doubt that Brad Bird is intending the film as a love letter to movies of his youth. That 60s jazz score is a dead giveaway.

Unknown said...

Check out Jayme's more thorough review of THE INCREDIBLES here: http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=2468