Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Roy Drusky

Somehow I missed the news that Roy Drusky died back in September. I heard him a lot on the radio in the early 1960s when I was working at Red Arrow Freight Lines in the summers. The radio was always tuned to KTON in Belton, Texas, which was a country station. I especially remember "Three Hearts in a Tangle" and his duet with Priscilla Mitchell, "Mr. Peters." He did a great version of "Red, Red Wine" around 1970. He had a distinctive voice and was a good songwriter, but he never achieved the fame that he deserved. RIP.

1 comment:

Cap'n Bob said...

Speaking of radio, I heard yesterday that Scott Muny died. Scott was one of the djs on WABC-AM, which was THE radio station in the greater New York area when I was a teen angel. Muny, Big Dan Ingram, and Cousin Bruce Morrow were the Big Three in my motor-mouth dj pantheon. They had another guy who was such a motor-mouth that he'd start tripping over his words, at which point he'd pound the table until he could untie his tongue. His name was B. Mitchell Reed. I'm not sure, but he might have been the one who was fired for playing "Happy Birthday" on the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima.